Dear Nelson,
You think that my leaving you was something that happened suddenly. You had warning after warning from me. We discussed divorce on several occasions. I'm surprised at you! Well, mainly your short memory. Do you remember the time we went to church in 2001? Afterward, we ate at a mexican restaurant and I just sat there and asked you if there was joy in your life. There was none in mine and I sat there and cried while you ate your fucking fajitas. (There was never a time when you didn't show me that I didn't love you if I didn't give in to you incessant need for disgusting plates o' slop. That's all mexican food is, you know... Sloppy slop with beans and cheese. I love Chinese food and we ate it together exactly one time since we lived in this state.) So that evening after church and dinner, we went to a park and discussed ending our relationship. You told me that you loved me and wanted us to work out. I naively believed that things would change. The one time in our entire marriage, Nelson, when you were the positive one... the one time when you pulled yourself out of the murk and probably saw that we were losing it. It scared you bad enough to try. But here we are, just a few short years later, and you didn't keep trying and I don't trust you anymore. And I'm not crying today either. Fancy that.
Josie